After our rather distressing attempt at mould making earlier in the term resulting in 4kg of ugly resin paper weights, that were completely and utterly unusable. We were very pleased to have a both the materials and brilliant support and advice of some truly brilliant model makers to help and we've had some success! Here is the prices for our hand mould.
After sculpting the hand in plastline, around a wire armature, I set the the arms in terracotta clay half way up the sculpts. Paying special attention to the fingers and cleaning the side to reduce the potential of over hang and huge seemliness.
After a lot of cleaning and fiddling, I added plasticine keys (blue) and built up the walls with foam board and glue guns, checking for any wholes, potential leaking spots.
We then Mixed the two part aluminium resin to an inch above the scults we used animation toolkits Aluminium Resin Composite kit. It took roughly 630g for one side. We worked the volume exactly i just can't remember what it was. LxW=xH.
Once we broke open the mould and checked for faults, and cleaned the mould and sculpts again, I then but overflow spaces to help reduce seam lines once again. This is basically making the mould as efficient as possible - so anywhere were resin could be excluded but leaving enough to create pressure around the sculpt.
I then re-bulit the side, checked for gaps, and then filled with eh same quantity form resin for the other side, allowed it to cure overnight (just be on the safe side though it had gone of in about an hour) and Huzzah! result was pretty good, a few little holes that needed to be filled with a little bit of milliput but the moulds should cast fine, we just need to drimmel some line out of the finger to hold the wire in place and drill a hole through the arm to be able to souring in the silicone. (update to come!)
This is a space for development work of my grad film BORIS-NORIS. A slap stick stop-motion film about NOT sharing.