The set is up and ready now after what feels like month of planning, Sasha made the base for the set out of wood and chicken wre at hoem in her garage and the transpoted it the UWE studios so we could add more wire, papper masha, plaster and essetialy pebble dash the entire thing- this was the section we got the most hand on board to help getting three fellow students to help plaster and pebble dash as it was easier to get it all doen in a week so plaster ddint dry before we coudl cement in the peblles, pretty much the hole thing was PVA'd over to seal in the rocks and reduce the amount of movemne of pebbles on set whalst shooting.
so here is a mock up of the final looks and style for boris and Noris, this has all been put together cheaply and quickly but he's basically correct. the legs and arm will now be casted and moulded to create multiples, a slightly cleaner version of the torso will be created both in this form and in the reverse colours, taller boots will be developed and a smaller head will be reproduced using rhino and 3D printing.
I will be testing him next week though to test weather he need longer versions of the legs for exsaduration in runs, as well as if the new solid body is ok, originally I had planned to have a armatured body but it would make life a lot simpler without. Id also like to set the legs slightly further apart.
Having come from a seaside village I know just how stupid and evil seagulls can be, they are genuinely kind of terrifying. I've seen one eat an entire sub sandwich whole once, I have seen photos of them eating other smaller birds and crabs before as well. Grows. Anyway, for the film the seagull need to be devious, a little dumb but mostly visual appealing.
To start building the crab I decided to look into different types of crabs, and settled on a cross between a fiddler and ghost crab, due to there already cartoony appearance. I did a colour test to figure out what colour scheme would fit the look of the film and offer a contrast to the set and the main characters.
The torso was made from plastazote, the legs are made form twisted aluminium wire. The limbs and eyes are made from building up layers of latex dipped scrim foam. the body was also cover in milli put as were the eyes and the claw tips.
I painted the whole thing in a light yellow, then teal to develop a more naturalistic shell effect. I plan to use a spray gun to add a light layer of blue and white for low and high lights. On reflection I perhaps should of added pins into the claw tips for pin downs, however on the pebble beach hopefully the revises will create purchase for the legs.
I originally designed the character, then opened it up too a couple of the concept artist on my course. In the end I decided to go down the route of my own deigns due mostly to practically and it being a better fit for the film. However they designed some lovely versions.
This is a space for development work of my grad film BORIS-NORIS. A slap stick stop-motion film about NOT sharing.